Thursday, May 18, 2006

QC and the editress (Josie and the Pussycats?)

This has nothing to do with Josie and the Pussycats. I must say that while sometimes a bit of mindless QC work is a good way to work mindlessly after a long, trying day's work, doing ONLY QC all day long is not my ideal work situation. I have my little list of jobs in my notebook here--QC, QC, QC--and it's frustrating. How do people deal with down time? I know I could be reading style guides but honestly, who wants to do that when the day has already proved to be full of brain sludge. That's a rhetorical question so I chose not to use a question mark. ;)

So, I'm sitting here with a coffee and a diet coke (oh the choices!), trying to amuse myself by watching CNN videos and pondering life. I guess this post really qualifies as a musing of an editress, though I don't feel like an editress at the moment. I feel like a lump in a cube. Maybe two lumps. Speaking of "editress," I KNOW it's not a real word, and I should just be ashamed of myself for being an editor and screwing with words in the most fundamental part of my EDITING blog. But I thought it was funny, and I sort of like the fact that in French, you can use the masculine or feminine version of ANY descriptive title: acteur-actrice, edtudiant-etudiante, avocat-avocate, editeur-editrice... well maybe I'm exxagerating. I'm not sure if editrice is a real word either, but at least the construction is far more common in French than in English. In English I'd almost prefer there to not be ANY distinction, because there are so few. You know, an actor is an actor is an actor.

3 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger James said...

Dw i wedi darllen dy flog di a fy meddyliau am "masculine or feminine versions" fe ddylaist ti'n clywed. Yn Cymreag fe faset ti’n bod 'actores' yn lle o 'actiwr'. Wrth grws, os wyt ti'n gemini, faset ti’n gallu bod 'actoresau' o os roeddet ti'n bod gwryw faset ti'n gallu bod 'actwyr'.

Dal ati,

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Jen said...

OK, so I must admit I almost deleted this post because I had just received a spam post yesterday and I didn't understand this at all. Out of curiosity, I went to James's blog and found that yes, he's actually speaking a viable language, and that language is Welsh. I'd never seen it before! Can you blame me for thinking it was spam? Sorry James. I gather that in his comment he says that singular "Actress" is "Actores" in Welsh, and masculine "Actor" is "Actiwr." Then I think he says the plural are "Actoresau" and "Actwyr" respectively. What fun!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger James said...

Yes ma’am, you are 100% correct in your analysis of the post. For fun I had clicked the ‘next blog’ button on my blog and your site came up. After reading your most recent post I decided it would be fun to post a comment in Welsh. In Welsh gender makes a BIG difference in grammar and the spelling of words so I could definitely relate to your post. I’m glad you enjoyed it and yes I understand why you almost deleted it.

Hwyl fawr,
James

 

Post a Comment

<< Home