Monday, April 03, 2006

This editor prefers her dinner sans fumeurs

The DC ban on smoking in restaurants takes effect today! I just found this out; apparently Friday night was the last time in DC that we'll ask to move because just as we're putting our order in, someone next to us lights up. We went to dinner at Old Glory in Georgetown, a classic BBQ joint on the main drag, and we sat at a booth near the bar, where actually no one was smoking, but the woman at the table next to us lit a cigarette right as our waiter came over with bread. They were happy to move us... and now I'm even happier about the ban. But I wonder, will it hurt business? Probably not, since I'm thinking to myself, sweet! We can go out to eat more. I think it will hurt two things: (1) smokers and (2) my waistline. I do think that more smokers will end up going out in VA where it's still legal, but maybe it's better that way, for people to have a choice (for now). Another year and we'll be able to go to the bars and not feel like we have to shower and do laundry right when we get home because we reek. It's hard to think of the time that I smoked (granted it was a short time, and in France) and didn't mind the smell. But smoking was so pervasive in France that it was almost impossible to be somewhere without smoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home