Friday, March 24, 2006

The Cherry Blossoms are Back

DC is about to get all dreamy-eyed over the cherry blossoms. The peak for the blooms is supposed to be Monday or Tuesday, according to the cherry blossom festival article in the Post. It's hard to believe (how cliche!) that it's been a year since Ben and I went down to see the blossoms. It was just a few weeks before the wedding. I had just had my hair highlighted, with disastrous effect, and we took pictures down by the tidal basin that turned out looking like Ben was on a date with carrot top. But regardless, it was fun; we discovered a huge tulip garden that I didn't know existed. And seeing as tulips are "our flower," and I intentionally included them in the wedding flowers, it made me happy to find them. Actually, if I remember, we found the tulips because there was a roasted/candied pecan stand next to it that was drawing droves of people (and us) to it just because of the intoxicating smell.

They really are beautiful, but what I think is the best part of the whole process is the petals falling and completely covering the tidal basin, so its entire surface is white.

We're going back on Sunday! I think it will make me nostalgic for the wedding. It's been long enough that the bad parts of pre-wedding planning have slipped my mind. I guess I'm lucky in that sense! Anyway, I'm excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home