Thursday, March 02, 2006

Peanut Butter

So, I had rice cakes with peanut butter for lunch. The peanut butter is sitting here next to me. I looked at the label, and it says "60% peanuts." This means that 40% of whatever is in there is NOT peanuts. Curious and a bit worried as to what might be in there, I read the ingredients. First is peanuts. Second, to my horror, is "corn syrup solids." Corn syrup is bad enough, but SOLIDS? What ARE corn syrup solids? That's even scarier than the corn syrup because I have no clue what the difference between the two are. There's also something added to "improve creaminess" further down the list. Are we really that demanding as a culture that we need extra fake additives to make things creamier?

To corn syrup and corn syrup solids: A curse on both your houses!!

3 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger nancy said...

You could always buy natural peanut butter. The health food store down the block from my apartment lets you grind your own. You would probably hate it. no sugar.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh, I've had "organic" and "natural" peanut butter, and I don't mind it really, but it goes bad if I buy it because Ben refuses to eat it and I don't eat peanut butter very often.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its the partially hydrogenated oils that scare me. why partially? why not just go all out... new and improved peter pan peanut butter with fully hydrogenated oil. it sells itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home