Thursday, April 27, 2006

Scary things about pesticides

So, I get an email newsletter from Real Simple magazine, and today's newsletter had a bit about which organic foods really are important to get. The thing that really scared me and made me laugh at the same time was the bit about spinach, and how I should "Vigilantly wash each leaf separately." Yeah right! I think the only thing I'd really worry about getting organic would be baby food. Maybe. I mean, I like the idea of organic foods but there aren't any regulations on what "organic" means, as far as I've heard. And the organic food industry hurts small farmers who can't spend all that money and time NOT using pesticides. I'm sure it creates a lot of "destroyed" foods if you don't use pesticides; people in grocery stores aren't going to buy those apples from the little NJ farm trying to go organic if they have little bug bites in them... they're going to buy the pretty looking apples from the big CA organic grower instead. Anyway... I probably should be a little more "vigilant" about washing produce, but I'm just lazy and I don't have cancer yet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home