Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mad at Google Maps

Google Map people, if you can hear me, you need to do some serious work! I had a terrible experience with you on Thursday night. Ben was driving to PA and saw a sign that said I-83 was closed in all directions, so he called and I got on Google Maps. First I couldn't find where he was, because I typed in "I-83, MD" and got nothing. I couldn't even get results when I typed in an intersection of two highways. When I finally got enough information from Ben about where he was, I could find it. This in itself was pretty neat, because I felt like God directing a lost soul via a camera monitor. BUT, as I re-routed him away from where I thought the closing was, we realized I didn't have exit numbers on my Google map. When he got back to 83, he was right smack AT the road closing! In his words, "I just took this fakakta detour for nothing!" He had to drive over the median to get back off and go another route. Fakakta, by the way, means shit. Google results will give you nicer versions of the word, like "all screwed up" or "dizzy." I was taught that it means shit. Can you use it in a sentence, please? I used those fakakta Google maps to get my husband absolutely nowhere instead of around a chemical spill.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if on cue, the latest New Yorker (April 24th) has an article on precisly this....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home