Wednesday, November 02, 2005

EX

I saw my ex-boyfriend while walking home from work 2 days ago. We were passing in a crosswalk, and he called me by my maiden name and I thought that was funny. Our conversation was also funny:

me: Hey, so how are you doing?
him: Oh, doing good, going to law school, getting ready to graduate.
me: Yeah? That's nice, where at?
him: Catholic. Yeah, so what's new with you?
me: Well, I got married, 6 months ago.
him: You got married? Wow! Congratulations! Wow, newlyweds.
me: Yeah. It's great. And Bryan and Alana are married, too. And [insert list of engaged people].
him: Oh, well I figured that. Yeah, I know what that's about, I'm sitting on a ring myself. I think I'm going to pop the question when we go to St. Vincent. You remember Casey, from the gymnastics team?
me: Really? Conratulations.
him: Well, yeah, her mom and her sister have really been on my case about it, since we've been dating for four years. But Jen, I really don't think I'm going to make a good husband.
me: What?
him: Well I think I'll mess it up.
me: Well, you'd better not!
him: Seriously, though, you know me, I'll fuck it up.
me: [laugh] Yeah, well, I hope not.
him: But she doesn't DO anything!
me: You mean, she doesn't have a job?
him: NOTHING! She just sits around and wants to be a mom. And she gets mad at me because I'm out all the time and I think if she had a life she'd understand.
me: Well, there's something to be said for having kids, but you need to agree on the plan.
him: Yeah, but she is so lazy! Anyway, I'll let you get back to your husband. It was nice seeing you. Take care.
me: You too. Good luck.

I thought it was sad and funny that he would complain even to his ex who he hasn't seen in close to four years about his girlfriend being lazy, in a one-minute conversation on the street. If he's telling ME these things, who else does he tell? And why, then, is he going to ask her to marry him? Then again, I think he always liked my ability to relate to and understand people, so maybe he was looking for help. He just relies on his charm to get whatever he wants, regardless of the consequences, at least in my experience. Oy. Am I glad to be away from that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home