Thursday, October 27, 2005

Declaration of Editorial Integrity

I saw this this morning on the DC Pubs yahoo group chatter, and thought it was funny.
It is from the website of Dann Maurno:

Declaration of Integrity
Whereas a Client possesses the inalienable right to professionalism and integrity from a Freelance Employee, selfsame freelancers are a quirky lot, often peculiar in practice and demeanor.
Following are several Credos by which freelancers should live, and for which you may depend on me. Each is based upon Authenticke Incidents and Peculiar Bevhaviours of freelancers I have known.
1. I pledge not to swagger like Jack Palance in "Shane." The client is a company purchasing professional services, not simple prairie folk who need a hired gun to pull their irons out of the fire.
2. Should I be asked to work "on-site," I shall hit the ground running, not spend the first day decorating my cubicle like a dormitory room.
3. I shall dress as befits the client. Should a client generously invite me to dress casually, I shall not construe this as an invitation to a masquerade ball.
4. I shall not speculate as to the depth of the client’s pockets. An expense account is an operating parameter that I respect, not a stagecoach that I rob.
5. The client’s stockroom is not a "Staples" store, never shall I use it to restock my home office with Post-It Notes and legal pads.
6. Should the client generously offer a dinner allowance for a long day, I shall restrict myself to fast food -- no single-malt Scotch whisky, swordfish steaks and Black Forest Cake desserts.
7. Free speech is like an "all you can eat" buffet, and I shall not make a hog of myself. I shall leave my politics, faith, and opinions (which are generally regarded as asinine, at any rate) &cetera, at home.
8. Everyone believes he or she works in a gulag. Should an employee complain about his/her workplace, I shall nod politely and extricate myself from the discussion at first opportunity.
9. I shall work as hard as I must, as long as it takes. Not half as hard for twice the billable hours.
10. I shall not use my creativity to create high-fantastical excuses to miss a deadline.
11. Better late than never, but better never late.
12. Pride in one’s labors is always desirable, but only within reason: I have written marketing collateral, and ad copy -- not "King Lear."
13. I shall hone and perfect a piece as the client sees fit, for I am the client’s creative interpreter, and my labor is not ended until such time as the client cries with glee -- "Magnificent! Print it!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home