Friday, October 21, 2005

Unintelligible instructions

I will preface this with the fact that I truly respect people's attempts at mastering other languages. We can see below that I am making my own, sometimes bumbling, attempt to master French. However, I have an utter disgust for those who insist on publishing documents with obvious errors, let alone errors that make something completely incomprehensible.

I bought a "rear carrier" for my new bike, a shelf that attaches to the hub of the rear wheel and sits just behind the seat, to strap gear onto. It came with a plastic baggie full of nuts and bolts and other bits and pieces to assemble. There was a letter from the bike company that instructed me to first follow the directions to assemble the rear carrier, then follow the bike company's instructions to attach it to the bike.

The carrier came with a 6" x 8.5" folded piece of thin paper, printed with what seemed like a photocopier, that contained the following information. I will reproduce the text as faithfully (and therefore painfully) as I can.


Parts List :

  1. Fitting
  2. Fitting Adjustor
  3. Upper Clamp
  4. Lower Clamp
  5. Plastic End-Cap
  6. Bolt
  7. Cog Washer
  8. Height Adjusting Plate
  9. Reflactor Shelf
  10. Pump Hook

Height Fixation:

* Please find scales on the adjusting plates, there are 3 concavities for 3 different heights (26", 700C & 28"), fit carrier on your bike after chooseing 1 suitable scales, make sure this is right size and screw it up.

Fitting Clamp & fitting Assemblies:

  1. Insert 2 Fitting Adjustors into Lower Clamp
  2. Insert Fitting into Fitting Adjustor
  3. Please cover Fitting's end by Plastic End-Cap
  4. Put Upper Clamp on Lower Clamp
  5. Join Fitting Clamp to Carrier by Bolt & Cog Washer (attach only, not tighten up)
  6. According to your bike to adjust Fitting's position. (It could be adjusted by left & right, up & down or back & forth)
  7. After find perfect angle & length, please screw Fitting & Fitting Clamp up carefully
  8. Assembie Reflactor Shelf if necessary
  9. Pumb hook, suitable for 11" pumb

Attention:

* Continually check all bolts be fastened.

Now, how you screw anything up carefully, I can barely imagine. I can't even begin to explain how funny this was to me! Ben (I have gotten the OK to use his name, especially since I've linked to his virtual PC company and self-defense company) and I opened the thing and started to install, and frustration was overcome by amusement about the instructions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home