Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Copular Verbs

Perhaps you were not aware that verbs could get cheeky. But they sure do, and every time I hear someone talking about a copular verb I laugh to myself and create a mental block as to what a copular verb actually is. So, I decided to write a blurb on it to expel the term's very funny implications from my mind. Though I'll still be entertained by it, I'm sure. From www.usingenglish.com:

Copula Verb

Definition: Copula Verbs

USE:

A copula (also spelled copular) verb is a verb that connects the subject to the complement. They are sometimes called linking verbs.

EG: That food smells nice.

('Smells' connects the subject to the adjective that describes it.)

The following are the principle Copula Verbs in English that can be used to connect the subject to an adjective:

Be; Look; Feel; Taste; Smell; Sound; Seem; Appear; Get; Become; Grow; Stay; Keep; Turn; Prove; Go; Remain; Resemble; Run; Lie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home