Friday, January 06, 2006

Bored and blind

I am officially a wearer of contacts + reading glasses, but unofficially I am still a no-contacts/glasses-on-top-of-the-head girl. My reading glasses will arrive in 1–2 weeks. So, I'm here with nothing to do on a Friday, tired, drinking coffee, in a surly mood. I hit the snooze (well, I grumbled "SNOOZE" to the equally tired man next to me, whose alarm clock we both use) several times today.

The new requirement for the new status report thing we're supposed to submit daily is to include WHAT we did in our "down time" if we had any. This is supposed to push us to do professional development and online courses etc. when we don't have work to do. It usually just compels me to work slower on the things I do have to do, or just not answer. I don't think they want to hear that I was blogging, or checking my Ebay sales, or sending a thousand one-line emails to Ben. Not that I haven't taken the online classes (they're part of our internal employee services), but the ones I've taken have felt like a waste of time. And a person needs a little time here and there to relax and recharge, or at least I do, especially as an editor who needs to be focused. At the moment, I'm certainly relaxing... and I suppose the coffee is charging me for now.

I sometimes wish my blog were funnier. Sometimes Ben sends me links to collegehumor.com, and they're damn hysterical. Oh well. I have my funny moments. But I definitely don't belong in a comedy troupe by any means...

Anyway, what I do do that's redeemable to fill my down time is read the copyeditors' and the DC Pubs listservs. I also subscribed to DC Web Women, but those emails aren't very relevant, and the people who post are super crazy feminists. In talking to a coworker yesterday I realized that I always need to brush up on my grammar, not that I don't know it, but I forget the names of things, like all the verb tenses and whatnot. So, I will go do more of that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home