Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A funny thing happened on the way to the office...

No, really. Actually, three funny things. And since my delivery apparently sucked over the phone, I'll try it here.

1. I saw my senior thesis advisor on his bike on the way to GW. It took me a minute to recognize him since he was on a bike and it has been three years since I saw him, and he looked back at me a few times, but I didn't want to say anything, because I didn't really feel like it. I smiled at him. Maybe he'll remember who I am later today.

2. Immediately after I watched thesis advisor bike away, I hear this haggard, gravelly voice say, "Nice calf muscles." I didn't actually look in the direction of the voice, but I looked around and it seemed that I was the only person whose calf muscles weren't covered by clothes, and therefore he was talking about me. Thanks, I guess!

3. Rainman rode the bus. I hopped on the bus a few minutes later because it showed up as I was walking by (and I have a cut on my foot that makes me limp a little), and a man that I had seen on the bus before was there. A thin middle-aged man with coke-bottle glasses (really) got on after me and sat behind me, repeating things softly to himself. When some people cleared off who were sitting near the driver, he got up and sprang into full-blown "Wapner in five minutes" Rainman speak, to the driver, who was totally used to it.

"I'm off tomorrow, Yom Kippur, but I'll be back Friday. I'm off tomorrow. The boy at the school where Joan works, he fasts for 28 days, he eats before the sun comes up and then after the sun goes down, for 28 days. I could never do that. He fasts for 28 days. I could never do that. Mike! There are two dogs! There are two dogs!" Mike, the driver, asked this guy what he thought of the "game," and Rainman went off about the Angels and the Cardinals and the White Sox. Then he switched to football. He knew all the stats and scores, I could tell just from the few things he said.

I guess "Rainman" really is a case of art imitating life. I don't think this guy was imitating anything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home