Monday, December 05, 2005

More on Katie in Africa

I get my dear and wonderful Katie back on January 22. Here's the latest from her travels:

So, i am in lome, togo . . . a very unexciting city that i wasn't planning on visiting. But, i do get free internet at the peace corps office here. So that's exciting. I could be here all night. But i'm starting to get hungry, and real volunteers might be waiting to use the computer... I'm thinking chinese food for dinner, since i am in a real city, i might as well live it up. Tomorrow i head north into hill country, where I'm expecting the same lack of restaurants i found in every city (except the capital) i visited in Benin. They have bars, just no restaurants. So I eat a lot of street food. Which can be anything from fruit to peanuts and plantain chips to bowls of rice or spagetti and sauce. Women walk around, or set up little stands on street corners, selling everything and anything you could want all for less than $1.50. but, it gets tiring after a while, and sometimes i just want to sit in a restaurant, read my book and have someone bring me a drink and my food over the course of say half an hour to an hour. Street food must always be eaten on the go.


I'm really looking forward to having her back. I'm also looking out for future employment for her in DC. I get emails like this but I still have trouble picturing what it's really like there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home