Monday, August 21, 2006

Major Disappointments

Disappointment #1: Two months ago, when I was still considering full-time positions, I had a great interview at what seemed like a great workplace, only to never hear back, even after repeated phone calls and emails. I've gotten over this, because companies are more and more frequently using this practice of "no response means no." This was one reason I was compelled to start working for myself. It's still frustrating, even when I prop myself up with self-assuring statements like "A company that doesn't call back wasn't good enough for me anyway!"

Disappointment #2: I've been in contact with a guy who used to live in my old apartment building, because he works as a sort of head hunter for editors and other creative folks in DC and he emailed me out of the blue at what seemed to be the most convenient time, as I'm now starting to freelance and could definitely use his help. We set up a meeting for August 11. I filled out all the requisite forms, gussied myself up, and went to meet with him. He didn't show. He was profusely apologetic when I called from our confirmed meeting place ("In my 5 years doing this I've only missed maybe 3 meetings and I'm so sorry it had to be you this time; I'll blame it on the new baby.") and we rescheduled for this morning at Starbucks.

So, this morning, after waiting a week and a half, I dressed myself up even more just to show that I mean business, got myself a small iced coffee (I don't speak Starbucks), and waited. And waited. I called him when he was 15 minutes late, and he said "Are you somewhere I'm supposed to be?"

He then proceeded to say that he was just so embarassed that he'd missed our meeting twice that it must be a sign, and he was going to cut his losses [cut HIS losses???] and wish me luck in the future. And, at this point with me moving to PA he wasn't sure what kind of services he'd be able to offer anyway [even though he scheduled our meeting after noting that he does work with out-of-towners if he starts up with them before they move], and because his business thrives on his being reliable, the fact that he wasn't reliable to me means he doesn't feel comfortable interacting with me in the future.

What sort of professional screws up twice and then punishes the other party for it? I must say that I was completely shocked and crushed. He said he was "speechless" this morning, and it's contagious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home