Wednesday, November 23, 2005

In homage to Clare and Ross's baby names

I was reading the Onion this morning and found a little snippet that made me laugh, especially because of the most recent posting on the Bucky Blog (see sidebar). Here it is:

All Of Pregnant Woman's Favorite Names Used Up On Cats
November 23, 2005 Issue 41•47
EUGENE, OR—Seven months pregnant with her first child, veteran cat lady Claudia Beck, 38, said Monday that she has already used all of her favorite names on her cats. "I've got Madison, Emily, Tyler, Jonathan, Claudia Jr., Dakota, and Todd," Beck said. "Then there's Smokey and Midnight, who are strays I feed." As of press time, Beck and the baby's father, animal-shelter assistant Rich Delgado, were considering naming their child "Boots."

Even funnier is the fact that I had this thought myself when thinking about what I might, in the far future, name my child. I like the name Sadie, but used that up on my cat when I was 13. In fact, when I named her, I thought I had made "Sadie" up out of nowhere. I hadn't heard the name before, and when I told my mother, "I'm naming her Sadie," my mother said, "Oh, that's nice, like 'Sadie, Sadie, married lady.'" I was bummed that I actually wasn't being original. So I understand why Clare and Ross don't want to talk about their list of names.

And I just Googled "Sadie, Sadie, married lady" and found that even THIS POST and MY CAT are not unique. See the cat who beat me to it. Whatever, my cat is better. I just haven't shared her with the ephemeral e-world (she's not the one in the photo below; Sadie lives with my parents).

In any case, I actually still might consider the name Sadie except that I have a girl name I like better at the moment. Though, if I had a Sadie and she asked where we came up with the name, would she be offended if I said she was named after my cat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home